"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is." J. Danforth Quayle






Friday, February 24, 2012

The Web Ain't Nothing But A Network

Wednesday night I attended a Buffalo Web Foodies panel discussion on Social Media and Food presented By the Social Media Club of Buffalo. While the topic is of obvious interest to me, the main reason I attended was that two of the speakers  were friends, Christa Glennie Seychew and Deborah Clark.

I had a good time and I do not regret going.  I met a friend face-to-face that I had not met before, and I made a new friend. I can't help but thinking that the organizers missed an opportunity. The odd thing is that the opportunity missed is the same one as at the first event I attended with Christa.

There was no chance to voice my own opinions or otherwise interact with other participants. A little networking would have been nice. I came loaded for bear with a stack of newly printed business cards, but only passed out a couple. While our e-mail address was requested when we signed in, nobody took down the information of those of us who have or the names of those interested in starting one. It might've been a good idea to put together a list of this information and post that on the SMC website.
As I said, I had a good time and I would do it again. I just would not pass up the opportunity presented.

As always, YMMV.

1 comment:

  1. Scott,

    I read your post and while this event wasn't intended to be a networking event, there was a half hour before the panelists took to the stage (45 minutes due to snow delays) where people did network, both within the venue and at the food truck, not counting free time afterward where folks did interact.

    In addition, the panel itself was open to questions from the audience for the duration, but most felt comfortable submitting them via Twitter.

    Perhaps I missed the message you're trying to convey?

    ReplyDelete